Information | New Comers | History

   


 

Town History

Dodge County

Schools

Businesses

Churches

Families

Products

Photos

 

 

 

Town History

 
          The three people credited with being the first settlers in the Town of Ashippun were Samuel Marshall, Alexander Leslie and Leslie's son, Alexander Jr. Soon after arriving, Leslie and Marshall erected a sawmill on the banks of the river where Alderly now stands. Hans Gasman had come from Gjerpen and settled at Pine Lake in 1843 and entered a claim for 480 acres in sections 35 and 36 in later 1843. One of the first claims for land in the township was on 10/17/1842 by Eliz. Graham in the NE 1/4 of Section 13. Most of the terrain in the early days was brush and woods as the land was described as "wooden wilderness." Ashippun is perhaps named for the Indian word for raccoon that is what the Indians called the river that flows through the eastern part of the town. As settlers came to the Town of Ashippun, each one had to make a log cabin. Usually the first one was small and put up in a hurry. Cabins were easy to make because there was choice timbers in the dense forest of Ashippun.